We would love to have you submit interesting articles or photos that you want to share with the readers of Emily Compost. If you have a garden that you would like to share or an article or a photo that you think would be interesting please send it to us.
Although we will consider anything that you send to us, you might consider these five areas (link on the hypertext to see an example):
- Articles - any gardening subject. Any length from 300 to 750 words. If it is interesting, you could go up to 1300 words. We like to break up the text with photos. Shorter articles (300-400 words) do not need a photo, longer ones could have up to 5 or 6.
- Your Garden - photographs of your garden with an explanation of each one. Just the photos or you could write a little something about the garden: how you built it, special meaning, whatever.
- Photos - Interesting photos with no text at all, or photos with some text. One photo is fine. You should at least tell us what it is. Gardening subjects (birds, insects, plants, whatever), of course.
- Book reviews - shorter length than articles, positive comments on books that have been helpful to you.
- Updates from your region of the country - If you want to be more ambitious, send us a "what's going on" this month or season in your part of the world.
Submit your articles and photos to our submission e-mail address.
Fine Print (important)
We reserve the right not to use something that you send us and to edit it for length and content. We try to keep everything the same font and size. We can make exceptions. Most of the photos on the articles pages are the same size. We usually crop photos for space and we like rounded edges (softer look) which we will do. Even if we don't edit longer articles we usually break it up with headings to make it more digestible and to look better on the page. (you don't need to worry about this, we are just letting you know what to expect.)
Of course, we don't want anything inappropriate. In addition, if you want to sell something, sell it somewhere else.
(the lawyers will cringe at this) The copyright is yours. All we want is the right to publish it on the emilycompost.com web site until we decide to take it off, or until you tell us to take it off. If you want to publish it elsewhere, go to it - we are not asking for any other rights. Of course, everything you send should be your own work.
You are not expecting to get paid, are you? Good.
More Details (also important)
The photos should be in jpg format. The text could be in an e-mail or in Word format. We can probably decipher any word processing format.
If you send an e-mail with more than five photos, you will probably just annoy me (gopher) because it takes so long to download. Mention the fact that you have more and we will ask for more if we need them.
We will use your real name if you would like, but a pseudonym is fine, also send a general location (even your zone) that we can use.
We would like your real name, location, and e-mail when you send in material.